Mauritius What to Pack
When traveling to Mauritius, you won’t need much, a small bag will do. However, you want to make sure you pack the right things and have enough room, a large duffel with wheels is a winner every time when taking a beach or island vacation.
You’ll need beach clothing, but keep in mind many hotels have dress codes, so you’ll have to bring some semi-formal/formal clothing too.
- Many hotels specify no jeans – men should wear smart trousers and women can wear slacks or dresses.
- Shorts (casual and dress) and short-sleeve shirts
- Bring at least two bathing suits and a covering – some hotels do require more than a sarong
- Proper dress shoes for hotels and restaurants
- Light waterproof jacket
- A formal outfit
Check with your hotel, some maid services do wash and return your clothes in a timely fashion. Additionally, Mauritius has a well-advanced textile industry so instead of taking all your holiday clothes with you might consider buying them on the local market. The shops are full of ready-to-wear polo shirts, t-shirts, shorts, shirts, trousers, pullovers, dresses and beachwear at low prices.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies
It is best to bring you own medicines if you have prescriptions. But if you do need something that is less important, pharmacies are all over the island.
It’s a must to be able to take underwater pictures, so bring your own or buy a disposable camera on the island. Bring plenty of film or SD cards, there are so many things to photograph and you’ll be happy for the extra storage. Also pack batteries and/or a charger. The power supply is 230 volts and the power sockets use the British 3-pin standard, so you also might need an adaptor.
While you explore the great scenery on Mauritius, you’ll want to have a few items on hand.
- Umbrella – Mauritius is prone to sudden showers
- Mosquito repellent – some hotels fog the grounds each night and this seems to help prevent bites
- Rubber shoes – you don’t want to step on the sea urchins in the water
- Snorkeling gear – this way you can ensure the quality and save money on rental charges
Don’t forget to pack lots of sunscreen and after sun. If you put the after sun in the fridge, it will cool your skin after sunbathing. You also might want to pack a few books for the beach.